Sunday, November 18, 2012

Today, I was "appentized"

First off, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my church! It is random and crazy and loud... all to bring people to Jesus... and it WORKS! 

Today, I sat in my purple chair in stadium seating style, just like I do almost every week on Sundays. Up on the screen, there was live video footage of three different fonts that were set up out in the grassy area just out front. Each one had a person getting baptized, and the view rotated from fonts as they were getting dunked . We were asked to cheer from inside as each one came up from the water. It was pretty cool, and we sang and cheered. 

Then, I recognized one of the people, and realized it was my good friend Jess! I punched Curtis, who was standing next to me, and nearly screamed, "hey! It's Jess!" I cheered extra loud for her! Then, I informed Curtis that I would be right back, and ran outside to where they were doing baptisms to congratulate her. I will say, I was a little tad bit annoyed that she didnt inform us that she would be doing this and just thought she was being secretive. Ha! Little did I know. So, I ran outside and saw her hubby (she was back changing), and at one point mentioned that I didn't know she was doing this today. He said, "she didn't either!" Hmmm... that's when I thought, better get back to see what this is all about! My weird church, I thought, what are they up to now? I quickly congratulated Jess, and ran back in. 

What a service! What Pastor Linn said was in a nutshell all of my findings and hearts realizations over the last few months. Phrases were clicking in my head with new light... "PERSONAL Jesus" ... "empty good works"... it was CRAZY! It was AWESOME! 

Pastor Linn urged us to be fearless in making Jesus famous. He even came up with some ideas. One was to slow down to atleast 10 miles of the speed limit and cut out the one-fingered salutes on the roadway, and then slap a Cornerstone bumper sticker on our car. I rock the bumper sticker even though I must say, I don't stay within 10 MPH, but I DID cut one finger salutes out of my driving routine. Another one was to reach out and invite family members or friends to church  - I've also done that a couple times. He also suggested diving right in to those Jesus conversations, without fear. I am pretty good at that, and only curl up in fear when it's certain people... so I guess I could do that better. But, the next one struck a chord...declare that Jesus is your personal King and Savior to the world by getting baptized. BAM! He even had counter attacks on the excuses why we couldn't... they were equiped with towels and a t-shirt and shorts and cut the sermon early so there was time! Hmmm... that crazy church! And Ray (Jessica's Husband) WASN'T lying... she had NO idea! 

So, Pastor Linn told those of us that wanted to get baptized to stand up and go to a booth outside when the band started playing if we wanted to be baptized. I looked to Curtis, who was baptized a year ago, and said, "should I?". He said"I think you... (loooong pause)should!". I said,"ok! See ya later!" Haha... he said, "Im coming with ya!" 

Let me go back to when I was eight really quick. I was baptized by my step-dad in the Mormon religion. It was beautiful... I played the piano with my piano teacher, and I was in awe at the experience and how I felt. Now fast forward to a year ago... about when Curtis got baptized at Cornerstone. My mindset at that time was that I had already been baptized... why do it again? My experience was so amazing... why would I discount that to nothing by getting baptized again? Didn't that count? I mean... baptism is baptism is baptism... right?

Now fast forward to today. A counselor met with me real quick, verifying that I had indeed accepted Christ. At a different time, I mentioned that I had been baptized before as a Mormon. Then (bless his soul), he asked if Baptism was necessary for my salvation. LIGHTBULB! I almost yelled out of excitement! NO! He's done the work!

Today, I decided to get baptized because my faith had completely transformed. This baptism today, was a personal and public declaration that I was forgiven... of ALL my sins when I accepted Christ. It was a declaration that He is my PERSONAL Savior. It was a declaration that I HAVE a RELATIONSHIP with my God, and that no matter how "good" I am... actions will not get me in to Heaven... I don't have to EARN my way, He already did. It was a declaration that I know Jesus died for my sins, and was risen.

It was just as beautiful as the first... if not more. It was funny. My friend Kory was the one to baptize me and it was all I could do to not SCREAM HALLELUJAH when he asked me if I accept Christ as my PERSONAL Savior! He died for me! My sins! And today... and everyday, the Glory is His because that is the LEAST I could do!

Oh, and about the title...I asked Curtis to grab the kids so they could be part of this and that they could see what baptism looks like. Jayden, in all her cute 5 year old glory told us on the way out that she wants to be "appentized" too! What a perfect comment to end a perfect morning!

Ps... my great friend Ryan just randomly sent a text that she had been going through pictures and noticed it was almost a year since Curtis had been baptized. He was baptized November 20th last year. Almost exactly a year apart. My friend Ryan had no idea that I was baptized today when she sent that text... she is in Kentucky right now!

PPS... Curtid and I accepted Christ into our lives (I renewed) the same day a couple years ago with out even knowing it... I was at Cornerstone and He was at Man Camp in Williams AZ. 

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, love your story and your message! You are honest, and bold,(and I note a bit of fearlessness in your words!) character traits no doubt God will use in your personal walk and ministry as you move forward. I am always in awe of the personal and piercing word God speaks to each of us. ( I was at the service as well and saw Jessica and cheered so loud! I wish I knew you were going to be baptized next as I would have stayed later to watch and cheer you on. ) Thanks for sharing your heart! I love how HE reveals Himself to us in the exact way that we need it.

    Have a wonderful week of thanksgiving. Love in Jesus, Lily

    ReplyDelete